Monday, August 23, 2010

Old post from elsewhere #2

Originally posted Feb 2007--


And now we get the more thoughts on the Baby-Sitters Club books that I threatened a few days ago.

What planet does the author live on where 13- year olds get jobs?  Not just baby-sitting, but actual paying jobs?  Like when Logan is a busboy at the Rosebud Cafe.  No.  This does not happen.  Period.  

I always thought Stacey ranked somewhere in the middle of my favorite sitters, but in my readthrough of the series, two of the three books so far that I have been unable to finish were Stacey books.  (#35, Stacey and the Mystery of Stoneybrook, and #58, Stacey's Choice.)  On the other hand, one of my favorites, #83, Stacey vs. the BSC, was a Stacey book.  But the other two were so awful and I realized that I hate a lot of Stacey's constant divorced parents plots, so I had to drop her down to second-least favorite.  Least favorite is still Dawn.

Why did the Pikes have 8 kids in six years when they can't bear to spend time with any of them?  Seriously, Mrs. Pike hires two baby-sitters to watch her kids when she needs to go to the grocery store between 3:30 and 5:00...despite not having a job...she could not possibly do this while the kids are in school or take Claire with her when she picks her up from kindergarten?  I will not even get into the logistics of having eight kids in six years...who gets pregnant within months of having triplets?  Seriously?

And yet I still read them, and enjoy them, because it's fun to escape into a world where responsible girls who love to babysit manage to be friends despite their differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment