Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Little Sister Playground Games

I found this book at a thrift store today and didn't already have it and it was only a quarter, so I bought it, along with a few other books. My sister and her kids were with me and her kids are remarkably patient while I look through every book on the shelf just in case there's a hidden gem. Another thrift store had a bunch of regular little sister titles but I haven't made a purse-sized list of what I need to replace due to icky covers or just being in poor shape so I left them all there for some other lucky person.

The first thing I noticed about this book is that nothing is written on the This Book Belongs To ______ line on the first page, but there is a name carefully written on the inside front cover. The little girl who owned it wasn't taking any chances on someone being able to rip out the first page and claim the book for their own. Next I noticed that the inside illustrations were not done by the usual LS illustrator.

Anyway the entire reason I am actually posting about this book is that it made me wonder who the market is for novelty books like this. Apparently it came with a ball originally. Is it Little Sister fans who beg their mom for tangentially related books? Is it kids who don't know any games to play on the playground? Is it worn down parents who think giving a book of games to the kids might make them play outside for a while? Then on the inside just so you never forget that you are reading a LS book, every game has to have a little paragraph about how Karen and her friends like the game. Hannie likes to use things around Stoneybrook when they play their version of Pictionary, but Nancy likes to use movie titles. Remember when Karen went to Shadow Lake and didn't like skiing? Well here are instructions for freeze tag! It just seems like the book is trying a little too hard. I don't even know. And some of the games, well...
If you don't feel like clicking for big, I will tell you that this game is looking for shapes in clouds. But what makes it a game is that it is for two players and you take turns. I am not sure how you keep score, but seriously? Looking at cloud shapes is a game now, not just something you do?

All things considered, I think I'd rather have the quarter instead of this book.

1 comment:

  1. I was at a combo thrift store/quilting store in Townsend the other day and they had a whole shelf of BSC books. Want to go on a roadtrip? I have quarters.

    ReplyDelete